Sunday, January 16, 2011

Who am I?

I've always thought that the best way to learn a city is to run it.  (I only thought this because I've never actually done it.)  I'm not a runner, but every time I see an attractive Nike model-esque woman with a graceful stride and a well put-together running outfit I wish I were.  Also every time I look at a dessert menu.

Let me just make one important clarification: I'm still not a runner.  In fact, my grandma is--literally--faster than I am.  But I just got back from a run.  And I've decided I'm going to try to do it.

I really loved getting lost in side streets and alley ways, finding my way to the river, and peering into rich people's windows.  I had the Beatles on my iPod and London at my feet.  That's probably the corniest thing I've ever said.

So now, as I'm sitting on my bed still too sweaty to get in the shower (in hindsight, I probably shouldn't be sitting on my bed...), I'm making a virtual promise that I will (hopefully) be shamed into upholding: I'm going to try to jog my way through London.  I'll post pictures of the parks and pathways I encounter, and try to enjoy both the running and the writing about it.  And then they'll make a movie out of this blog, like Julie and Julia, except Natalie Portman will play me. 

I (obviously) didn't bring a camera, but here are some of the sights along my route today:
The Roebuck...the local pub where I'll counteract my jog.

A telephone booth in Trinity Church Square.

Henry Wood Hall...what "fine architecture."

Borough Market.  My favorite place in the South Bank.
I'm having fun now, but don't judge me if I "forget" to tell you about my "real" future runs.  Just assume they're happening.  (And you can also pretend I look fabulous, and not super Jewish, while I'm doing it.)

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome photos, Rachel!! Looking forward to reading and seeing more of your wonderful work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    Nice post! Running must "run" in the family, as apparently, does a great sense of humor.*

    *I saw this link on your mom's FB page; we're friends from way back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you run in London and get lost, just ask directions--GP Ralph and I did, learned some new britishisms like "straight the way through".

    ReplyDelete