Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy

I haven't posted in a few days because I came to the realization that living my life is slightly more important than re-telling it to my mom's friends from high school.  (Shout out to Simsbury Class of '75! Go trojans!)

So much has happened in the last week.  I started classes, befriended a Danish barista named Simon, planned some trips, met up with Ben, and even went on another run or two. 

Hopefully breaking my life into topical categories and updating you by category isn't too condescending. 

Class: Apparently you're supposed to go.  I'm taking Jane Austen in Context, Jacobean Shakespeare, Forms of Shorter Narrative, and Early Modern Sexualities--all of which have amazing reading lists, mediocre lectures, and charming British 'tutors.'  Unfortunately, my walk to class involves a tube ride and takes about 40 minutes, so if you happen to own a chauffeur service in London please contact me immediately.  

On a less horrible note, I found out that my classes end on March 25.  I have papers and exams until the first week in June, but I'm done before April.  This may have been the most unexpected news I've heard since I found out I was going to have a little sister named Sarah...only this is way better.
 
Travel: So far I have three exciting trips planned: a weekend in Brighton, a long weekend in Paris, and a full week in Spain (both Madrid and Barcelona) in the middle of February.  I know what you're thinking: "Is there any way I could help contribute to Rachel's experience by offering my empty apartment in Madrid/Barcelona?" The answer is yes...please contact peck.sherry@gmail.com to make arrangements.

Museums: The British Museum is great, except when you're touring it with Ben.  For those of you who don't know Ben--my lovely boyfriend--picture a younger, more attractive, but less hilarious version of Phil from Modern Family.  Now imagine Ben stopping at every statue, posing like the statue directly beside the statue, and begging me to photograph him...posing like the statue...directly beside the statue...

Nightlife: There are lots of great things to do in London, but really just not enough money to live like the princess I wish I were.  (I had an embarssingly long--and serious--conversation with Libby about what great, inclusive, warm, and fun princesses we'd be.)  That being said, Simon, our new friend who isn't American and actually kind of knows what he's talking about, recommended a list of cheap(ish) and fun pubs...to be continued.

I think that's it.  Hampstead is lovely.  I'm getting used to the rain.  I gave a British person directions on the tube because I looked confident and well-adjusted and was wearing a trench coat.  I can't wait for half of Columbia University to visit in March.  And I'll try to write more regularly.

Time to read Kafka and watch Keeping up with the Kardashians! (Unintended alliteration.  Equally intellectually stimulating.)
 

3 comments:

  1. Miss you every day. I love reading this. Love you! Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're travelling SO MUCH even though you're already in London? so jeals :( haha love your posts they're so funny. Post more pictures pleaseee ?

    <3 V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to hearing all about Paris!

    ReplyDelete